Friday, October 23, 2009

Something nice, by mistake!

Now that I am officially a 'committed playdate mom' thinking up finger food and easy snacks for the 4pm-6pm playdate slot is an important occupation. I've got a few favorites: rocky road fudge (my version omits the marshmallows and nuts); vegetable slice (frittata by another name); fruit salad (anything goes into this as long as it is fruit!); sandwiches.


I made an especially yummy frittata the other day and it was largely by mistake as I was basically trying to give my day-old potato waffle batter a new lease of life.

The recipe:

one red onion (medium sized) chopped small
tomatoes diced (2 work fine)
a handful of brown mushrooms chopped
a carrot peeled and diced

about a cup of potato waffle batter (mine had potato/ flour/ a bit of oil/ eggs/ milk and seasoning mixed in)
a cup grated cheddar
a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper

Lightly saute onions/ tomatoes/ mushrooms and carrot till soft. Remove from heat and mix in the waffle batter and cheese. Pour into a greased pie dish, season well and bake about 25 minutes in a moderate over till set.
Cut into slices and serve warm or at room temperature

No comments: